HISTORY OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The United Methodist Church was created on April 23, 1968, when The Evangelical United Brethren Church and The Methodist Church united to form a new denomination.
But Methodism in the U.S. dates back to 1736 when John and Charles Wesley came to the New World to spread the movement they began as students in England. United Methodists share a historic connection to other Methodist and Wesleyan bodies.
HISTORY OF SALEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Five years before Salem Church came into existence, Bishop John Seybert, the first Bishop of the Evangelical Church passed through the village of Springtown, stopping at the home of Mr. Henry Funk, where a preaching place was found. Rev. Solomon Altemos and Rev. Jacob Riegel became the first preachers.
They preached in the school house in 1837 and visited in the home of Mr. Jacob Kooker; Rev. Hummel, a missionary, preached several times. The work increased, the challenge continued, and the people were converted to God.
In the year 1841, Salem was a part of the Lehigh Circuit, Rev. Michael Maize was the pastor, God honored his preaching, and the work prospered. The first congregation was organized in the home of Mr. Joseph Clemens, near the Tannery. The church was razed and a new building, our present church was erected in 1868.
In 1942, while Rev. Francis Fletcher was pastor, the church had an extensive improvement program. During the pastorate of Rev. Denton Spencer, the church received an inheritance from the Gehman Estate, this along with other memorials and contributions, was used for the present renovations.
On April 21, 1968 we became the Salem United Methodist Church. Salem, for many years was part of a circuit sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.
In June of 1997, they became a single part time appointment, separating themselves from Hellertown circuit. During the next two years the church worked at moving into fulltime ministry. God’s hand was upon Salem Church and in August of 1999 they became a fulltime appointment.